UX Designer – New York
Why did I want to become a Designer? Two words: Walls Sausages. When I was a child living in England I discovered that with every pack of Walls sausages you could get a card which depicted a scene with a dinosaur. They were cute and well-drawn (for the 1970s). But the thing that fascinated me most was that they could be put together in any order and would still make a panorama.
That was so cool. I wanted to do that, I wanted to make something magical out of something simple. That’s design, and that’s what I wanted to do.
Here is a bullet list of the things I do as a consultant
- Wire-framing and prototyping
- User testing, personas, and use cases
- Development of sites in CMS (WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal) and HTML
- Graphic Design
- User testing
- UX (User Experience)
- SEM (Search Engine Management)
- Website KPI/ROI testing (does the website meet its KPI (key performance indicators) and give an ROI (return on investment)
- Responsive design
- App development
After studying design at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie in Amsterdam, I worked as a designer for several magazines and journals. With the introduction of the internet, I started working for a computer magazine and was asked to create a website. I have made every mistake that a graphic designer can make on this journey from HTML 1.0 to responsive mobile sites.
My fun graphic resume is here:
Samples of my work are here:
An overview of my resume is here:
I am an experienced designer who has followed his passion for printing with ink and lead to coding in bytes. I have designed for magazines and newspapers, websites and apps, and love the process of design that follows the UX needs of the user as an integral aspect of the design process. More information about my design process, and UX procedure, can be found on this website.
My favorite projects:
Integration of all 330 World Trade Centres into one database and social network
A dynamic graphic website popularizing statistics
Leveraging content from a publisher back catalog into mobile and tablet apps.
MetLife, New York (April 2013 – Present)
- The designer responsible for digital products, UX, information architecture, and accessibility
- Roll out of a global Intranet, from just US-based to 10 different languages. Designed UX, within the confines of the brand.
- Design and UX of a Mobile app for a people finder.
- Design for Video showing how to use the Intranet in 10 languages.
- Using UX to introduce social media to the Intranet.
- Building templates for team sites within the Intranet.
- Designing info-graphics as content for the Intranet.
- UX Design of forms which are easy to understand for onboarding new employees
- General UX and Graphic Design handyman.
- Wire-framing and Prototyping
- User testing – Use cases, user journeys, and A/B testing
- Creation and documentation of digital work-flow, methodology, and best practices
- Maintain consistency in branding
- Be an evangelist for UX contemporary design and UX trends
UX Designer – Digital Design Lead
Oxford University Press, New York (March 2012 – March 2014)
The designer responsible for digital products, UX, information architecture, and accessibility
Member of UX project group, Agile Development, Wire-framing and Prototyping, User testing – Use cases, user journeys, and A/B testing, Creation and documentation of digital workflow, methodology and best practices, Maintain consistency in branding, Be an evangelist for UX contemporary design and UX trends, Develop eBooks, Apps, and online products, Coordinate team of publishers and editors, Create task forces and train teams on digital product usage (eBooks, Fonts, Accessibility, etc.), Training, Developer relations
UX Designer and Marketing Manager
World Trade Center Association, New York (September 2010 – March 2012)
Create marketing and branding materials for 330 multilingual WTCA members in over 100 countries, Design and develop World Trade Center Website and Community Network Site, Establish marketing needs for the WTCA, Create social networking applications and tools for WTCA members around the world
Graphic and Web Designer (Consultant)
Dutch Central Bureau of Statistics, Den Haag, Netherlands (2000 – Present)
Designer and Marketing Manager
World Trade Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands (March 2004 – August 2010)
Design and create all on-line activities for the WTC in Amsterdam, Responsible for all Marketing, from concept to creation, Collaborate with on-site realtors to maximize the potential of the WTC
Chief Web and Graphic Designer
Compuware Europe, Amsterdam, Netherlands (1995 – 2002)
Developed software products including Web Application Server products, Responsible for web development and maintenance including media for B2B and B2C environments, Collaborated with main American clients and developed European subsidiaries’ websites
Owner Brindian Press – an independent publisher of eBooks
Concept, programming, and design “Netgate Cities of Europe” 1997-1998
Concept, programming and design “Pyrenees” 1999
Concept, programming, and design “Cuba” 2000
Co-author of a book about QuickTime – 2000
Bachelor in Education, Hull University, England
BA in Design and Illustration, Gerrit Rietveld Art Academie, Amsterdam
Adobe Certified Photoshop Expert and Instructor
Certified ENG Cameraman